Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Clean eating - green smoothies

Now that school is over for the summer I can get back on track with my clean eating. The last few weeks were brutal! With teacher appreciation week, birthdays, and end of the year parties I felt like I was lost inside Willy Wonka's factory and couldn't get out. 

Sunday mornings are typically my morning to shop for the week. I feel like I'm starting the week off right. After my trip to Trader Joe's, I come home and stand in awe at the healthy food that sits before me. It is then, and really only then, that I tell myself I don't need any chocolate. 


I have always loved green smoothies. Ever since I received a Ninja blender for Christmas one year I have enjoyed making them. The one problem I would run into is the "I just don't have time."  Well, one day I decided I had to find a way around that. If I could prepare and freeze the items beforehand then all I would have to do is pour the contents into the blender, add some juice or almond milk, and I would be set. 


So I gathered my ingredients. I had a huge bag of kale that I picked up at Costco. At Trader Joe's, I bought a bag of frozen strawberries, a bag of frozen blueberries, and a bag of frozen pineapple. I mixed all the frozen fruit together in a bowl. 


I evenly divided the fruit and kale into 8 freezer bags. I added 1/2 a banana to each bag, zipped them up, and placed them in the freezer. Now, when I'm ready for a green drink I just add 1-2 cups of orange juice or almond milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment